Wednesday 11 September 2013

Reinvent Your Career Expo

I attended the Reinvent Your Career Expo at Moore Park on Sunday 8 September 2013. A two day expo, it was designed primarily for adults looking to re-enter the workforce or searching for a change of career.

There weren't many people there, and I overheard one of the exhibitors say that the previous day was even quieter. Being at Moore Park which is not too easy to get to would not have helped attendance numbers.

The cost to enter was $10 per day or $15 for two days.

The most popular stall was the careers advice team who had a queue about 20 deep throughout the 90 minutes I was there.

At the far end, speakers addressed relevant topics - about one very half hour.

I sat in on the one by Jane Jackson on 'Resumes for results'. I found Jane, a career coach, an excellent presenter and had a lot of good advice on how to write and structure your resume - one of your most valuable marketing tools when looking for a job.

Most of the stalls, or so it seemed, were colleges and universities hoping to sell courses.

There were a few employers, notably Woolworths and Anglican Aged Care, as well as the Defence Force. Battery World was promoting their franchises. I'm disappointed more companies offering franchises were not there, but I'm sure there are other more relevant expos for that.

Most of the stalls had the obligatory sweets or pens to giveaway to attract you to their stall.

As a person considering changing my career, I found the expo quite good and offered a few ideas. I was surprised most of the Sydney colleges and universities were absent. I came home with bags full of reading material to contemplate.

I can recommend the expo if you are considering a change of career.

No comments:

Post a Comment